Friday, May 25, 2007

A pirate's life for me... maybe


So, I definitely paid $25 for my ticket to Pirates III, but I guess that is to be expected in London's West End. Even the indie theater there is $20 per ticket. Also, the theater was almost empty, ergo London has officially been given the rating of "lame" as a movie town until further notice (Harry Potter).

Anyway, last night I saw At World's End in Leicester Square in a huge theater that has absolutely nothing on the Warren. It was three hours long. However, so much plot stuff was going on that it was hard to deal with the characters at all. I was happy to see a little bit more time spent with Will and Elizabeth. Elizabeth turns out to be a complete badass and that part I loved.

What I loved the most about this movie, though, was the ending. It was really sad (it could be taken as not that sad, but I thought it was pretty painful), so that was actually a nice surprise. I don't prefer movies to have sad endings, but the way they handled it in Pirates III redeemed them a little bit for Pirates II. Let's just say it took the movie down a couple of notches on the Popcorn-O-Meter, which in the dire situation of this franchise, is a good thing.

For this reason and others, At World's End also pandered a lot less to the section of its fanbase that is easily entertained. Dead Man's Chest was pretty much the Johnny Depp-being-hilarious-but-ultimately-undermining-the-franchise's-value show. This isn't the case in the latest installment. That is not to say that At World's End suffers from a lack of swashbuckling. It was much less dependent on physical comedy and re-used Disnefied jokes.

So, see it because you should finish out the series, but a la the Matrix, this trilogy might have been better off with just the initial film. No pirate movie and few of any genre will ever be as cool as POTC: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

No comments: