Thursday, December 23, 2010

True Grit


I hate to say I was disappointed, because this was a very good movie, but it failed to excite me to the same level as its trailer did.

I had been defending the show against those calling it a remake of the Oscar-winning John Wayne film as it is merely based on the same novel. After watching it, however, it is harder to defend as it does feel like a remake. Most notably, Barry Pepper seems to be doing his best Robert Duvall impression in the same role Duvall played in the original.

None of that is technically a problem and I really did enjoy the movie. The dialogue was superb and handled brilliantly by the actors. Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld have both received SAG nominations.

The biggest problem was a narrative one that may derive from being too faithful to the book (which I have not read). Without giving anything away, the ending is extremely anticlimactic and takes an unfulfilling turn. You could argue the same thing with the Coen brothers masterpiece No Country for Old Men, but its ending fits the spirit of the movie. That isn't the case here.

I do recommend the movie, but the trailer is even better.

No comments: