Thursday, April 5, 2007

Chungking Express

I first heard of Chungking Express several years ago. I think it was actually a trailer on my VHS copy of Pulp Fiction. It is a film by Wong Kar-Wai whose work I previously enjoyed with In the Mood for Love and 2046. 2046 instantly became one of my all-time favorites. It's hard to explain Kar-Wai's style, you just have to experience it. It's simultaneously realistic and surrealistic; gritty and lighthearted.

I might rank Chungking Express third of the movies of his I've seen, but he's becoming one of my favorite working directors. His next project, My Blueberry Nights, stars Jude Law, Ed Harris, Natalie Portman, Rachel Weisz, Tim Roth, David Strathairn, and Norah Jones.

It's always refreshing to realize that even though we have all the crap that Hollywood shoves in our faces, there is still a whole world of filmmakers producing quality work. If it weren't for movies like Chungking Express, something like Dukes of Hazzard 2: The Beginning might be cause for suicide.

No comments: