Sunday, April 1, 2007

A Quick Note on Bergman and Fellini

Sweden's Ingmar Bergman (not to be confused with Casablanca's Ingrid Bergman) and Italy's Federico Fellini have one important thing in common: their films are first and foremost about people. The story takes a backseat and, in some cases, doesn't exist at all. No matter the character, they make sure you will find something about them that you identify and empathize with.

The problem is they are often more patient with their characters than I am prepared to be. I need a story to keep me going. So, as talented as these directors are, it is hit or miss as to whether I like their films. I didn't really care for Fellini's 8 1/2 or La Dolce Vita but did like La Strada. I've had better luck with Bergman. I really liked both The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries though I wasn't as impressed with Persona (which I just watched this morning, prompting this post). Bergman himself aptly referred to Persona as "poetry in images." That sounds wonderful enough, but you can guess where I found it lacking - in story.

If you're into movies you should definitely explore these two artists. Just have some caffeine ready.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Haha, sounds like I would like them both.