Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Oldboy

I have to admit, I must really be missing the boat on Oldboy, because I didn't enjoy much of anything about this movie.

I found it disconnected and violent to the point of absurdity (still wondering why we watched him pulling teeth). I got bored during the fight scenes where the main character showed off the skills he learned watching TV in captivity. The almost-ending monologue by the bad guy reminds me of how in The Incredibles and Kim Possible the villains always get caught up in a huge monologue and then the heroes take advantage of their distraction and foil the evil plot.

I was disappointed by the fact that the only real female character was completely useless. There's never really explanation for why she keeps hanging around with a violent crazy person and having no personality of her own, except "Oh, we hypnotized her, too." Her lines during sex are things like "It hurts so much, but I'll endure it for you" and "I want to make you feel good." Vomit.

I guess I'm just going to have to chalk it up to not getting some angle of this movie. Clearly, I am disagreeing with the majority. I recognize some elements that make a good story, and also some sharp technical skills. But it just felt like a hollow box.

1 comment:

Rich said...

I'll admit that it's been a few years since I saw Oldboy and that I agree its IMDb ranking is too high, but I remember liking it.

There is a lot, no doubt, lost in translation and it is far from perfect. But I found the premise captivating.

A man is captured off the street and held prisoner in a hotel/apartment for like 10-15 years. When he is released, his quest becomes the search for whoever was holding him and why. The answers may not be as good as the question but still worth watching.

Crazy show.