Saturday, February 21, 2009

Oscar Eve


It's Oscar weekend so I'll run through real quick and say what I think (or guess) will win and also what I would vote for if I was an Academy member.

Best Picture - Slumdog Millionaire will most likely win.  I loved it, but Milk would get my vote.

Best Director - Danny Boyle is the favorite here and he gets my vote too.

Best Actor - A tight race.  Mickey Rourke is right there, but I saw Sean Penn edges him (though a Frank Langella win won't completely surprise me either).  Penn gets my vote.

Best Actress - Kate Winslet is finally getting her Oscar due and I'll probably cry.  However, for this particular race my vote swung to Angelina Jolie this week after finally watching Changeling (I still have not seen Frozen River or Rachel Getting Married).

Best Supporting Actor - Heath. Ledger.

Best Supporting Actress - "They" say Penelope Cruz is the favorite in an extremely tight race with Viola Davis her closest competitor.  I'll go ahead a pick Davis to win, but her castmate Amy Adams would get my vote.

Original Screenplay - Some say Milk will win here as a consolation prize for losing Best Pic to Slumdog, but I think Wall-E takes home the prize.  Wall-E gets my vote as well.

Adapted Screenplay - I still want it clarified whether this is the best job of adaptation or the best screenplay that qualifies as adapted.  I think Benjamin Button wins for its total reimagining of Fitzgerald's 20 page short story unless Slumdog love extends to this category.  I'd vote for Slumdog.

Cinematography - Slumdog's spectacular photography of India will win as it should, though depending on the mood I was in at the time, I might for The Dark Knight.

Animated Movie - Wall-E x 2

Special Effects - Ben Button will probably win for its aging of Brad Pitt, but I'd vote for Dark Knight out of spite here.

I'll leave the rest of the categories alone as I either haven't seen enough of them, or still am not sure what they are (sound editing?)

No comments: