Monday, December 18, 2006

Censorship

First, read this blurb from IMDb.

Christian Groups Fume Over Christmas Horror Film

Christian groups have slammed the remake of cult 1974 movie Black Christmas, because they find the horror movie "offensive." The ... film ... centers on a group of US college students who battle a slasher over the Christmas holidays. Mathew Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel, says, "To have a movie that emphasizes murder and mayhem at Christmas, a time of celebration and joy around the world seems to be ill founded." Jennifer Giroux, co-founder of Operation Just Say Merry Christmas, adds, "The use of religious music 'Silent Night' and the nativity set on the front porch in one scene are insensitive to Christians. It's not enough to ignore and omit Christmas, but now it has to be offended, insulted and desecrated. Our most sacred holiday, actually a holy day, is being assaulted."

Maybe I'm just not easily offended, or maybe I have better things to do with my time (not really), but here's an idea: don't watch it.

One of the opponents above says Christmas is being assaulted. What about the assault on the filmmakers' right to express themselves freely? And saying a horror movie set during Christmas is an assault on Christmas is like saying Nightmare on Elm Street is an assault on the act of dreaming. "Hey, I dream! Jerks!"

Do I feel Black Christmas is in bad taste? Yep. Do I think it will be crap? Yep. Do I think those are good enough reasons for it not to exist? Nope. Will I be paying to see it? You couldn't pay me to see it. Should any self-respecting intelligent person spend any more time than this even thinking about Black Christmas?

Nope.