Thursday, December 21, 2006

Rewatch, Top 25 Stars, Star Wars, and HARRY FREAKING POTTER


So, my mom recently had surgery, ergo she's pretty much stuck at home. She's spent a lot of time watching movies. Seriously, she's been home for four or five days and has watched eight or nine movies. I rented one for her (Pirates II, at my brother's insistence) which she didn't really like.... She seems perfectly content watching the movies that we have, and have watched 800 times. So, today I got home from work and ended up watching Walk the Line and Narnia with her and throughouly enjoying my gross unproductivity. I'm working on City Lights, but I keep falling asleep during it.

Anyway, the main purpose of this entry, besides the fact that Richie has made the last three, is to assert the amazingness of both movies (but mainly Narnia). To all those voting members of IMDB that caused it to have a shameful 6-point-something early on after its theatrical release, I say a vehement and matter-of-fact "screw you." Thankfully since then the rating has risen to a much more accurate 7.4.

First of all, the casting for this movie is dead freaking on. The Pevensie kids are adorable and innocent, as they should be. Also, I defy anyone to find someone better for the role of Aslan than Liam Neeson.

Okay, screw the numbers. Honestly, I have nothing to ask of this movie. I feel the same way about City of God, but obviously Narnia is not on its level or in its category. What I mean is, Narnia is all that it could and should ever be - undeniably wonderful. Unlike Eragon and so many other movies, it reached its full potential and is completely amazing. Congratulations to everyone involved for a job done as well as it possibly could have been. The movie is ending as a type this, and I am utterly wowed. Again.

Second order of business: IMDB released its Top 25 Stars based on search queries. Johnny Depp is #1 for the third year in a row. Why? Because he's the best (except for Gael Garcia Bernal, but Americans don't know that just yet. Just watch, Babel will propel him to mega-US-stardom).

Thirdly: So, the STAR WARS ORIGINAL TRILOGY was released in September in its original theatrical version. It's becoming unavailable after December 31 (why, George, why must you be a jerk about this?). I want it, but I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase. Also, it's not like I won't be able to get it on eBay. Anyway, thank goodness they freaking did this. I never did like the new end of Return of the Jedi, with the tour of the galaxy and the unjust subtraction of the fun ewok music at the end. Also, the Anakin standing with Yoda and Obi-Wan has changed too many times. And I've never been terribly comfortable with the Han-Jabba scene in A New Hope, either....

AND last but not least, the title for HARRY POTTER VII was released today:

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HOLLOWS

Eat it up, folks. Who's going to be in line at midnight and finishing the book before doing anything (and I mean anything) else productive? Ooh! Me! Me!!!

No comments: