Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Mixed Feelings about the Oscar Noms


Wow, since some things in life are out of our control, thank God there's always movies to talk about to get your mind off of them.

Anyway, this morning revealed some interesting choices by the Academy this year. Letters From Iwo Jima must be either damn good or at least hit a nerve with those of a generation much more affected by Iwo Jima than mine... or both. And as much as I think Dreamgirls deserved a nomination, I can't tell you how much it gives me pleasure that for the second year in a row, the movie that people have been calling a lock for months doesn't get the Oscar (I really, really hate it when people do that, coughoscarigloo). This also probably stems from my hatred of the idea that only one movie in an entire year could possibly be in contention for the big prize.

Leo's nom for Blood Diamond definitely surprised me. I still haven't seen that movie, and it looks great. Since this performance apparently trumps his role in The Departed, it must be amazing. As for Best Supporting... Alan Arkin but no Steve Carrell? I don't know how I feel about that.

Meanwhile, there were no surprises in the Best Actress category. Babel took two slots in the Best Supporting Actress category, which is stacked to say the least. Jennifer Hudson was amazing (see previous post) and this category is below her. Abigail Breslin - wow - I would love to see her with a statuette. The two ladies from Babel were both amazing as well.

Of course we all know the one person missing from this list is Gael Garcia Bernal. :) I can only hope that Babel's success (and potential best pic) will get him more American recognition.

Speaking of Best Pics, I have no idea who I want to win. Like Richie, I would love to see underdog Little Miss Sunshine pull out ahead. However... The Departed was incredible. Babel I'm very attached to for aforementioned reasons. Little Miss Sunshine was amazing, and I haven't seen the other two yet. Meryl Streep is the only individual nominated that I can truly say has my full support, and as she says so often in her newly-nominated role,

"That's all."

No comments: