Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Queen

I went to see this movie as it is becoming one of the year's major awards contenders. It was good, very well done, but, ultimately, completely forgettable. It made little impression on me and relied heavily on the viewer already knowing the situation which could make it almost unwatchable 50 years from now.

Helen Mirren is said to be lock to WIN the Oscar this year, favored more than any contender in any category. She was very good, but I couldn't help thinking that a comparable male role would be lucky just to get a nomination. This is further support of the belief that there just aren't enough great roles for women. Am I saying Mirren doesn't deserve to win? No I'm not, just that it's unfortunate that no other actress/role is in place to rise to the challenge. I was way more impressed with Michael Sheen as Tony Blair.

This is a one-time movie. Watch it for its historical context and forget about it.

No comments: