Thursday, December 11, 2008

Getting the Party Started


I'm going to call today the official start of the movie awards season (and jump start of this blog) with the announcement of the Golden Globe nominations this morning. You can find the complete list of nominees at IMDb. http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2009/globes


The most notable omissions were in the Best Motion Picture, Drama category, which lacked The Dark Knight, and, perhaps more surprising, Milk.


I like to think this is simply because these are very "American" movies that the Hollywood Foreign Press didn't fully appreciate. But that is probably just wishful thinking. It seems unlikely now that The Dark Knight will be able to go the way of Lord of the Rings by breaking out of the shackles of its own genre. My research is a bit rusty, but the only Oscar best picture nominee that comes to mind that did not also receive a GG nom is The Shawshank Redemption 14 years ago. If that trend is bucked again this year, it will more likely be Milk that sneaks in (IMO).


I'll still keep rooting for The Dark Knight and, to be fair, I have yet to see any of the GG drama nominations, though I seriously doubt two (let alone all 5) of them will impress me more than TDK. In the meantime I'm forced to rest all my TDK hopes on Mr. Ledger bringing home the posthumous Oscar gold.


On the comedy/musical side, I have seen 3 of the 5 nominees - In Bruges, Burn After Reading, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona. I have to say VCB is my favorite of these, but I still can't get over its obscenely gratuitous voice over. I sincerely hope (while equally sincerely doubting) there will be an option on the DVD to watch it sans the VO.


Not much else to say for the moment. I'm just really excited to be able to see some great movies, which, unfortunately are far too rare.

1 comment:

Rich said...

According the www.awardscircuit.com neither Crash nor Capote received GG best pic noms before earning an Oscar nom. Crash obviously went on to win the best pic Oscar. Dark Knight is alive! :)