Sunday, December 21, 2008

Slumdog Millionaire


When I first heard the title and premise of this movie I was extremely skeptical. The trailer, however, was filled will promise and the movie pretty much delivered. While I had a blast watching it, I wasn't as emotionally as involved as I would have hoped. That being said, I've found that I can't stop thinking about it. Last night as I was explaining the premise to my brother I got really excited.

The story unfolds expertly in a series of flashbacks intercut with Jamal on stage as a contestant on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. The concept is simple and brilliant - winning on this show is not about being a genius and knowing everything; it's about getting the right questions that YOU know. Trust me, that gives nothing away, it's merely the starting point. I think Danny Boyle's a safe bet for a directing nom, setting the tone and the pace perfectly. The story is urgent and sentimental at the same time.

However, I don't think this one can go all the way. A best picture nomination is likely, but I don't think it can win. The acting is fine, but the roles are not particularly demanding. The weakest part of the script is relatively flat characters. Jamal reminded me of Ryan Gossling in The Notebook who was defined only by his desire for "the girl" and, though sweet, was a very unemotional person. Likewise the girl, Latika, was little more than the object of Jamal's obsession. The film was so enjoyable, I would have loved to see another 45 minutes worked in to flesh out the characters. That would have been a romantic epic capable of bringing home Oscar gold.

Oh, and this show had the best closing credits ever. :)


Verdict: Great... but not the greatest.

No comments: